martes, 26 de mayo de 2009

Applause for the police in Chacao!! ¡Aplausos para la policía de Chacao!!



English:

The Chacao police have this message pasted onto the rear windows of their cars, and I have to say it moved me when I saw it. It is a public declaration for their intention to respect human rights. Although some people will tell me that sometimes practice and pronouncements do not coincide, it is nevertheless a very important step toward the humanization of Caracas.

I need to say, however, that it is my hope that someday de idea of the police's "appropiate use" of firearms will be drastically revised and that nobody, not even these officials, will have the right to shoot their fellow human beings.



Español:

La policía de Chacao lleva este mensaje en la ventana de atrás de sus vehículos y tengo que decir que me conmovió verlo. Es un respeto público y declarado de respeto para los derechos humanos. Y aunque me van a decir que la práctica a veces dista del anuncio, es un paso importantísimo hacia la humanización de Caracas.

Tengo que decir, sin embargo, que espero que algún día el concepto del "uso debido" de las armas de fuego por parte de las fuerzas de orden sea radicalmente revisada y que nadie, ni siquiera estos oficiales, tenga el derecho a disparar a sus semejantes en el ejercicio de su deber.

Fragment of above picture / Fragmento de foto